Best Occupational Therapy Specialties for the Career
1. Gerontology (BCG)
According to the American Occupational Therapy Association, occupational therapists in gerontology work with seniors “people in their homes, their workplaces, their communities, or in facilities.”
There are a number of reasons the aging population is in need of OT services:
- A desire to stay in their home as they age
- Coping with Alzheimer’s disease
- Living with arthritis
- Fall prevention for injured or disabled adults
- Recovering from a hip replacement
- Coping with low vision
- Recovering from a stroke
- Driving safety
Gerontology is one of the most common specialties in occupational therapy, due to the large number of patients.
This means that there are many professional opportunities.
This OT specialty offers you the opportunity to work in a variety of settings:
- Outpatient Rehabilitation Centers
- Skilled Nursing Facilities and Nursing Homes
- In-Home Healthcare
Click next to continue reading.